Blood on pillow, have severe coughing, smoker. Advise ?

found a blood like brown spot on my husband's pillow this morning . He smokes about 12 cigarettes a day & has been having severe couging middle of the night for past 2 days . I am terrified . we have no medical insurance. please advise
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 15 minutes later

Thanks for posting query.

There could be various reasons possible blood on pillow.

As you said he is having severe cough since 2 days,there are chances that he might have bad throat or some respiratory infection which can lead to blood in cough.

Infection in throat leads to increase blood supply to the part and in turn when there is violent cough is there, the minute blood vessels ruptured leads to bleeding in cough.

This seems to be most logical reason for this in given situation.

Another less common possibilities are some local mouth ulcers,gastric ulcers etc due to habit of smoking.

I can understand your problem as you are not having insurance but a medical examination by doctor is must.It may be anything so proper diagnosis and treatment is must.

Please avoid giving high fatty food,ask to him to decrease smoking,take only light diet with more of liquids.Also ask him to avoid alcohol.

If comfortable mouth gargles can also help.Measure his blood pressure and fever to have some more information.

Ask him to take proper rest and give some cough cold medicines that you have with you.

Ideally you should not ignore this situation and go for proper consultation and if required blood counts,X XXXXXXX as per the advise.

I hope this answers your query,I will glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Blood on pillow, have severe coughing, smoker. Advise ? 58 minutes later
thank you Dr. Pragnesh

Have made an appointment with a Doctor for next wednesday for examination.

My husband does not have fever . He did complain of gastric bloating few times recently . is that a significant symptom that could have led to the blood in cough ?

I am praying this is something curable and not not utterly serious.

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 9 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

It is good that you are seeing a doctor.

As I explained earlier there are chances of respiratory infection is more likely.

The bloating that he had might be due to some food or gastric disturbances.

Do not worry,I do think there is any thing which is suggestive of a non curable illness.

Please visit your doctor as per schedule appointment.

Wishing him speedy recovery.