Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in urine, tumor in bladder, pain in abdomen. How far along is the tumor? Is there hope?

my brother in law noted blood in urine for 1 year. he did go to the doctors and paid 6k over that period. they kept giving him anibiotics siting nothing seen. then a doc retired. he got a new one. that one did a cysto. now they saw a calamari looking tumor toward the first part of the bladder inside. he also feels a lot of pain in his back kidney areas. he thought it was a a mattress and changed that. he is going to get the tumor out and he is going to a special clinic i think this week. but my question is, how far along is he in stage? just a guess I want. and in any such stage is there hope, of what kind?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Dilip Raja 1 hour later

I would be able to answer your query better if you can provide me with the following details

1. Age of your brother in law;
2. Reports of investigations done like ultrasonogram, Intravenous Urogram (IVU), Computed tomography (CT) scan of abdomen and pelvis or any other test that are done.

If the tumour was removed, the cystoscopy findings and histopathology report will decide the further course of treatment.

I understand your concern. The results of these test is essential to comment on the current status as well as the options of treatment. I wish you to upload the results on this webpage using the option provided below / alternatively you may post them to my attention (Attn: Dr. Dilip Raja) at YYYY@YYYY

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Blood in urine, tumor in bladder, pain in abdomen. How far along is the tumor? Is there hope? 31 minutes later
no other tests are available for this question. the tumor was removed and alll it says on doctor report is 'got it all out' and now pains are this 3 months later:

right hip pain
pains at times in lower abdomin
urinates but not totally full bladder will feel full
has odd pain in the upper right back behind the gall bladder, mostly after eating
I sent you attachements to the email...age 51. male, no other tests. cysto is where he found the tumor. he removed it in his office, transurethreal resection. he merely says come 4 mos later for check up cysto. he said not worried about +1 rbc now, 3 mos later.
Answered by Dr. Dilip Raja 14 minutes later

Hi and thanks again,

Since the biopsy material did not involve XXXXXXX tissue like muscle invasion, we cannot comment on the stage of tumour.

Having said that, as ultrasound report did not show any tumour, I can only guess that it is a superficial disease, probably something that is not serious. As rightly suggested he should undergo re evaluation after 3 months. Repeat cystoscopy and the relevant investigations are warranted.

Hope this bit of information is reassuring and informative. I will be available to give you more information if you have any more investigation reports with you.
Please accept the answer and close the discussion if all your queries are answered. Yet, let me know if I have missed out on any other concerns.

Follow-up: Blood in urine, tumor in bladder, pain in abdomen. How far along is the tumor? Is there hope? 1 hour later
i just want to know why no doctor comments on the pains in the back i described..or about still blood in urine...
Answered by Dr. Dilip Raja 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

In all probability, the pain in the back is not related to the tumour in the bladder and is related to an independent problem in the back or the spine.

Regarding blood in the urine, it could be expected after tumour resection. Your brother in law hasn't been thoroughly and properly investigated for the urinary tumour. Hence, he must be investigated thoroughly for a problem in the urinary system.

Hope this helps