Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood in urine, soreness in abdomen, no pain

Okay. This question is about blood in my urine. I noticed a twinge of pink in the urine at work on Friday. Then on Friday night, I peed almost completely red. Saturday morning, I urinated more of a brownish red, like Rasberry Tea. I have had intermittent lower left flank pain for almost a month, but it comes and goes. On the wednesday before the urine blood, I did 30 sit-ups, and then the next day, my whole abdomen was extremely sore expecially around the bladder area. I am 32 years old. Male. Please let me know what you think. Oh, and it is not painful when I urinate, just bloody.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 58 minutes later

Thanks for query.

After reviewing your history and complaints it seems that you are having some problem related to urinary tract. There are 2 major possibility
1. Renal stone
2. Bladder infection.

Brownish red indicates old blood and reddish indicates fresh blood. When ever there is movement of stone inside urinary tract it may cause bleeding.

Exercise is unlikely the cause here. You will need a thorough examination and tests - urine routine analysis, culture and ultrasound examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Drinking plenty of water will be useful in such circumstances. It would also be better to avoid strenuous exercises till recovery.

I encourage you to consult your doctor for evaluation at the earliest.

I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries that you have.