Blood in urine, discharge. Pregnant. Should I be worried?

Mar 2013
I just went to the restroom and wiped and had light pink/orange blood or discharge should I be worried. Im 15 weeks
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 36 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, you need to be sure if it was blood or discharge.
A small amount of yellowish or mucoid discharge is normal during pregnancy.
In some instances, even mild spotting is not associated with any risks.
However, spotting or blood tinged discharge could also be an indicator of certain conditions.
Firstly, it could be the earliest warning of an impending miscarriage.
If the bleed or discharge was not accompanied by pain, cramps or severe discomfort, then it is unlikely that a miscarriage is on the way.
Another reason could be a low lying placenta.
Normally the placenta occupies the upper part of the uterine cavity.
In some cases, when it is present low down, it presents with painless bleeding or spotting during pregnancy.
This condition also , in 90 % of cases, is harmless, as the placenta migrates upwards as pregnancy advances.
However, it may lead to severe bleeding , fetal compromise etc.
A vaginal infection could present with such discharge.
A polyp or growth on the cervix could present with spotting.

As you can see, the possibilities are many.
It is not possible to opine without examining you internally and conducting an ultrasound to scan the baby and placenta.

I would advise you to consult a Gynecologist and have a proper evaluation , and appropriate management.
Meanwhile, take rest, avoid stress or exertion, do not be sexually active till you have a diagnosis in hand.

Please feel free to ask me any further questions.