Blood in the stool, constipation. Diagnosed with anal fissure. Taking Imol plus and Duphalac. Treatment?

Question
: Hi Doctor. From last Tue (20th dec'11) while passing motion I am having blood in it and it is very painful to pass motion. I was told I have an anal fissure and was prescribed Imol Plus and Duphalac. I was told to get admitted after being a little better for doing a procedure under anesthesia of relaxing my muscles and breaking the ulcer to heal faster. After taking the medicine for last 2 days I am still passing blood while passing motion but not having any pain. Today morning I had drops of blood coming out while passing motion. Also stool was hard and clotted blood fabric type was also there. Not having pain - is it normal ? And should I wait to get a little better or go ahead with the procedure
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

Blood in stools can be of 2 types:
Melena, which is the passage of blackish stools, due to bleeding originating in upper parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
Hematochezia refers to the passage of a more red coloured stool, originating in latter parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

In your case it seems that you are suffering from Hematochezia.

Bleeding and pain while passing stools are classical symptoms of an anal fissure as your doctor has pointed out.

In your case the doctor has prescribed pain killers and stool softening agent. The prescribed pain killers are the reason that you have been relieved of the pain. So, it is nothing that you need to be worried about as such.
I would suggest the following
1. Drink plenty of water
2. Use stool softening agents so you do not have hard stools. Hard stools tend to increase the fissures
3. Have a high fiber diet. Include plenty of raw fruits and vegetables in your diet.
4. You could use a Sitz bath (sitting in a bathtub filled with water and with some Potassium permanganate crystals) to relieve the pain
5. Exercising the option of a surgery depends on the extent of the fissure. Dilatation of the anal sphincter is the most commonly performed procedure for this disorder.
6. Kindly visit your surgeon and undergo the surgery especially if you are bleeding profusely as seems the case

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Dr Gowri

Follow-up: Blood in the stool, constipation. Diagnosed with anal fissure. Taking Imol plus and Duphalac. Treatment? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor. Thanks for your response.

I have one more question, dilation of the anal sphincter - is it same as what my doctor said, relaxing the muscles and breaking the ulcer under anesthesia. Can I wait for a few days before doing the above. Is there a risk ?

Lastly, I understand pain killer can relieve the pain but not having any pain after I started taking Imol Plus twice a day - is that normal ???

Thank you for the follow up question.

Yes, dilatation of the anal sphincter is the same as relaxing the muscles.

You can wait for a few days if you are not actively bleeding.

There is no as such a risk related to the operative procedure unless it is not done the right way.

Yes, pain can subside the way it has happened to you, so do not worry.

I suggest you get yourself examined again by your Surgeon to check the bleeding status.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr Gowri