Blood in stool after taking Cifran. What can be the reason for this?

Hi Doctor i am 31,male. I had stomach trouble for few days. I took cifran ct yesterday evening after which the motions stopped. But late evening today, there was blood in stool. In fact there was no stool, blood only. Kindly provide your help and advice.
Few months back, same situation happened and things were fine after I took fig soaked in water, on the advice of friend.
I am non vegetarian and had some meals outside home. Not sure if this can be the reason for this.

Kindly help and oblige.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Your query says that you notice XXXXXXX red blood in the stool. Since this is your second episode, you should not let it go. It needs a medical attention and proper evaluation.
Generally XXXXXXX red blood can appear if the problem is at the distal end like distal colon, the rectum or anus. The other causes can be higher if the blood leak is more than the digestible amount. In such a case the color of the stool is black tarry stool.

Passing blood in the stools can be due to-
1. Anal fissures- I feel this is most likely. An anal fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Anal fissures may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less. Hemorrhoids are likely associated.
2. Diverticulosis- Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
4.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc.
You need to consult your gastroenterologist for further investigations like colonoscopy and proper treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.