Blood in semen. Done with biopsy. What to do?

Jul 2016

blood in semen psa 5.8 digital exam ok history of high psa biopsy done 5 years ago good health take XXXXXXX for prostate psa 3.8 year ago blood in seman within last 2 months
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have haematospermia since last 2 months.Your recent serum P.S.A is 5.8ng which is slightly higher than normal value (4ng).

Though your digital rectal examination is negative for any hard nodule possibility of malignancy of prostate can not be ruled out.
The cause of haemospermia could be either due to infection of prostate or seminal vesicles or malignancy (Cancer)of prostate.

Since your PSA is showing rising trend it needs to be investigated thoroughly to rule out cancer of the prostate by doing following investigations.
1) Routine Urine test and urine culture.
2) Transrectal (TRUS) ultrasonography of the pelvis .
3) C.T Scan of the pelvis .
4) Semen analysis and semen culture .

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and repeat digital rectal examination and get above investigations done under his guidance.

Further treatment will be decided by him/her depending on results of these test and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Blood in semen. Done with biopsy. What to do? 1 hour later
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Biopsy of the prostate can be decided after results of the tests and not mandatory as digital examination carried out by your urologist is negative for nodule.
Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Blood in semen. Done with biopsy. What to do? 2 hours later
Thanks for your help. I don't see my urologist until 8/12. Is there a time problem? Should I try to see someone else sooner?Also I'm considering trad'l surgery or robotic surgery if I do have prostate surgery.What is the approx. recovery time for each one of these surgerys. Which one do you prefer? Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Thanks for follow up.

If appointment with urology is not available before 8/12 you can get investigations done under guidance of general surgeon so that you can report of these test before you consult Urologist.

As regards your query for traditional surgery or robotic surgery Robotic surgery is very safe and less invasive and you can go home on third day as against traditional open surgery which is painful with high chances of morbidity and will need to be hospitalised for a week.
I prefer Robotic radical prostatectomy.
Thanks and Regards.

Can a regular doctor get these tests done?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Thanks for fresh query.
Your family physician can ask diagnostic centres where these tests are carried out.
Thanks and Regards.