Blood hcg, beta, serum test showed positive and Abn: A units: miu/ml Negative <6. Concerned

just had a blood hcg, beta, subunit, qual, serum done, the results show Positive (Abn: A) Units: miu/ml Negative <6. Im 4 1/2 weeks pregnant and very concerned this test is showing me that something is wrong. Can you please help?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

There are two types of blood pregnancy tests. One is "qualitative" and the result is either positive or negative. The other is a "quantitative" and gives an actual level of pregnancy hormone.

The way that you reported your answer above, the result is "positive" which is what you would expect if you are pregnant. It just confirms what you already know. It does not indicate a problem.

I hope this helps!
Follow-up: Blood hcg, beta, serum test showed positive and Abn: A units: miu/ml Negative <6. Concerned 18 minutes later
Hello Dr Raichie,

Thank you! I'm still very worried about the Negative <6 for the miu/ml. can you please explain that? all the hcg's ive seen on the internet are saying my numbers should be much higher than 6?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 40 minutes later
It appears that the result is just saying that <6 is the cutoff for negative. It is NOT the result. The result was "positive".