Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood clots found in urine. One is brown dead blood cells other is red. What is it?

General Surgeon
2 large blood clots (one inch long) or semi solid in urine. One is brown probably dead blood cells, other is red, what is it? from gall bladder or elsewhere?
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 1 hour later

Blood clots in urine specially inch long are due to bleeding from upper urinary tract.
Gall bladder problem doesn't cause such problem.

I would advise you to get Ultrasound of the abdomen and urine examination done. At the earliest.

I would also like to ask the following:
1. Are you having pain as well or is it totally painless?
2. Since when are you having this problem?
3. Have you lost weight? Have you lost appetite?

Awaiting your reply

Dr. Rajat Gupta

Follow-up: Blood clots found in urine. One is brown dead blood cells other is red. What is it? 2 hours later
It is totally painless, It happened for the first time today, I have not lost any weight and have not lost appetite at all.
Red blood and clots appeared first as I urinated and I read that means it originates in the urethra if it did not appear mid stream or at the end of stream.??
I have been drinking beer at home every evening, and as a result urinate more than usual.
Thank You
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 51 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

You are right blood (not clots) comes in early stream from urethra. However long cylindrical clots usually are from upper urinary tract.

Painless hematuria without any other symptom, should not be ignored. I would like you to have an ultrasound abdomen and urine examination done, as initial step.

We will take it further after reports of your tests come. Feel free to ask any questions which come in your mind.

Dr. Rajat Gupta