Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood came while urinating. What is the cause of this symptom?

Question
Today morning my husband has gone for urine. Instead of urine only blood drops come. Please let me know when this kind of symptom can arise?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Blood in urine is called hematuria and from the symptoms that you have described, three possibilities are coming to my mind which need to be evaluated. These include:

1)     Urinary tract infection
2)     Kidney stones
3)     Obstruction in the bladder and urethra.

To confirm the diagnosis, your husband needs to get certain investigations done. These include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen. I suggest you to get these investigations done from a physician. He should drink plenty of water till that time as it is very helpful in flushing out the toxins in case of infection. Cranberry juice if helpful in UTI but he has to show it to a physician to confirm the cause.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Blood came while urinating. What is the cause of this symptom? 27 minutes later
Carnberry is normally not available in the market. Can you suggest some supplement to this?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Your husband can drink plain water or take citrus soda sachets or Alkacitra after consulting his doctor. He has to drink adequate amount of fluids in the form of water, juices or soups.