Bloating, stomach pain and weight gain. What could this be?

i am constantly bloated and stomach pain. I am not constipated as a doctor told me. When I eat greasy fod I wake up with terrible pain in stomach that last a long time. I am so bloated cannot get clothes on. It has been 4 years now with these symtoms and now I have gained weight and have a huge gut and lots of discomfort. My food is not being digsted and is not going into ky belley just sits on ton of rib cage. Even my ribs feel like they are going to break. I am on a liquid diet , high fiber and that does not do anything for me. Still bloated. even soup bloats me. What can I do. What test can be done. I think it is my gabladder. What do you suggest. I do not want to sucribe to anything just give me an educated answer.
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, gall bladder issues is my first possibility..

Detailed Answer:

I went through your symptoms with diligence. I noted that you have digestion issues - bloating and stomach pain for 4 years. 4 years ago might be the time period when you would have attained menopause or in the process to reach that stage. Considering this strong age association, I would also place my bet on gal bladder (gall stones) to be the cause of your problems. Fatty food stimulate gall bladder peristalsis. And forceful contraction in the presence of stone can lead to pain and indigestion. Therefore yes, gall bladder issue is also my first possibility.

Besides gall stone, the next close possibility is acid peptic disease. I noticed you have acid problem in the past. Gastritis and peptic ulcers can mimic gall stones closely and it's going to be hard task for your clinician to differentiate this through history and examination alone.

Lastly, increased weight gain and to some extent digestive issues may be secondary to hormonal changes. I suspect decline in estrogen levels and/or thyroid hormone changes as possible causes.

Definitely without investigations it's not easy to narrow down on a single cause. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would first consider ultrasound abdomen as well as endoscopy as my first choice tests. More testing should be considered based on the test results. Your local physician / gastroenterologist will know about these tests.

In the mean while it would be essential and effective if you can modify your diet pattern - avoid too fatty and greasy food; also restrict your spices and beverages. Start exercise especially cardioexercise - jogging, cycling, swimming, brisk walk or thread mill. The lifestyle change will be helpful.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.