Bloating, gastric pain while moving, difficulty on sitting, subsides on sleeping. Cause and cure?

Question
Right side blotting, pain when moving and gas upper right side. Hurts to sit, lay on right side but does go away after sleep for awhile and comes back.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and from your symptoms, three possibilities need to be ruled out. These include:

1)     Acute cholecystitis and gall bladder disease which can cause severe epigastric and right upper abdominal pain along bloating and gas.
2)     Peptic ulcer disease which can cause episgastric pain, diarrhea, abdominal cramping along with heart burns.
3)     Pain when moving can be due to muscular pain.

Get an upper right side abdominal ultrasound done. Also apply topical muscle relaxants and warm compresses for the muscular pain.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Bloating, gastric pain while moving, difficulty on sitting, subsides on sleeping. Cause and cure? 20 hours later
Is there any special diet or food I should take or not? Will this go away over time?
What if I do nothing , will it get worse? Will it get better?
Is it something age brings on or emotional stress like death of a family member or is what you eat the cause??

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Peptic ulcer disease can be worsened by stress but gall bladder disease and muscular pain have no relation with stress. Also try the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. You should also avoid wearing tight pants.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)     Also you can take some antacid like Mylanta but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.