Bloating after meals, previous diagnosis of genital herpes. Related to menstrual cycle or herpes or Valacyclovir?

Hi, I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 6 months ago. Recently, I've been experiencing extreme bloating after eating a meal and even when I don't eat for awhile. I also thought that this could be related to my menstraul cycle since that is one of the symptoms I often have, but it's a lot more intense then what I usually experience. Could this be due to my herpes or my medication? I am currently taking a daily treatment of Valacyclovir 1000mg.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Valacyclovir is an antiviral medication that is used to treat infections with herpes. It may cause diarrhea in some individuals but it is less likely to cause gastritis and bloating. The bloating that you have after eating a meal seems to be due to gastrointestinal reflux disease and is less likely to be due to herpes or valacyclovir.

It’s diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper Gasrtointenstinal endoscopy.

It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietician will be helpful.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.