Bloated upper abdomen, burping, history of chronic pancreatitis. Have pseudocysts in pancreas. Why is this happening?

My upper abdomen is bloated and has been for the past few days. I also feel the need to burp alot. I have a history of chronic pancreatitus (diagnosed in 2010, due to heavy alcohol consumption). I have two pseudocysts in my pancreas. I haven't felt ill since the beginning of the year. Keeping to a low fat diet and exercising regularly. Practically felt in perfect health. Until a few days ago. I am confused as to why this is happening now as i haven't changed anything in my diet or routine and do not touch alcohol. I've realised i do have to be extra careful with what i eat when it is time for my period i have found. As it is very easy to mess up my digestion at this time. Not sure of the reason why. Please help. AAAA
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later

I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I will be answering your query.

You are having symptoms of dysmotility type of dyspepsia.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion regarding your health issue.

1. Are you a diabetic?
2. Are you on any pancreatic enzyme supplements?
3. Are you on any medications like prilosec?
4. Was upper GI (Gastrointestinal) endoscopy done and H.pylori infection ruled out?

Kindly respond with the answer to the above questions.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Bloated upper abdomen, burping, history of chronic pancreatitis. Have pseudocysts in pancreas. Why is this happening? 5 hours later
Luckily I do not have diabetes yet.
I am taking creon 0000 rarely. Only when I feel I need too. As I really have improved drastically in health. Until now.
I don't have H.pylori
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 hours later
Thanks for the additional information provided.

The bloating and belching could be due to many causes.
It could be due to aerophagia ( air swallowing), gastroesophageal reflux disease, gastroparesis, food intolerance, malabsorption etc.
Since you already have been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis and you are not taking pancreatic supplements regularly, the bloating could be due to malabsorption secondary to chronic pancreatitis.
Tests for malabsorption and an upper GI endoscopy may be done for evaluation.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini