Blisters on the nose, swelling, sunburn, taken advil. Treatment?

I need the advice of a dermatologist. Saturday I received a bad sunburn on my face. On Saturday night and Sunday I had small blisters along the sides of my nose and was red. On Sunday night the bisters popped and my face swelled a lot. I used Advil, regular cream cold compresses. It is some better today but not much- still very swollen. Do I Ned to do more?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

If you are sure that you had a excess sun exposure and has left you with a sever sun burn .You should first start with a sun blocking agent having good spf value. This should be applied at-least three times a day.
Following this you can use a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone or desonide lotion over the red or swollen areas only for 3-4 days. Along with this also take a oral antihistaminic tablet daily till the lesions heal.

I would like to know whether the lesions on sides of nose are actually blisters (water filled) or pustules ( pus filled). If these are pustules, I would also advise to take a short course of oral antibiotic as-well.This would further help reduce the inflammation.

Any cooling agent like calamine lotions can also be applied .

Very rarely if the swelling does not respond to above treatment then I would add a short course of oral steroid to reduce inflammation and swelling.

Kindly let me now if the lesions are actually blisters or pustules.You can even consider sending me a close up picture of the lesion which would help me further. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda