Blind spot, cloudy floaters, tunnel vision. Any idea what happened?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
About two weeks ago at night I was watching tv and I got a blind spot in the center of my vision it was white when i tried to read things and look at things I couldn't because it was dead center this lasted for around a couple minutes and only happened once before around seven years ago. Then my vision got really cloudy floaters everywhere in both eyes. I could hardly see. It was almost like before you pass out but other then that I was completely fine (this didn't happen after the first time I got a blind spot the first time) I sat down down and tried to relax and I got tunnel vision for a couple of seconds and it was gone and my eyes were completely normal and it hasn't happened since. The entire vision episode lasted for around 15 minutes to half an hour.
I'm really scared it will happen again and was wondering if you have any idea of what could've happened. I have 20/20 vision and my eyes are healthy and fine that I know if. I had an appointment a year ago and everything checked off okay.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

The problem of seeing floaters in the eye associated with a tunnel vision are generally related to possibilities such as
a) Sudden raised intra ocular tension
b) Optic nerve compression
c) Retinal tear.

The sudden appearance of a significant number of floaters, especially if they are accompanied by flashes of light or other vision disturbances, could indicate a detached retina or other serious problem in the eye.

Since they are not repeated again within the span of 2 weeks and you report to have good vision and no other significant symptoms I do not directly relate to the above possibilities.

However to allay your anxiety with a history of panic disorder I suggest a routine examination and counselling by a competent Ophthalmologist. A good description of problems along with any significant family history can be detailed on physical consultation.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Blind spot, cloudy floaters, tunnel vision. Any idea what happened? 15 hours later
Is there anything I should do if it happens again before my appointment when i make one?
Since it only happened once how likely is it to be something serious?
Thank you for your answer!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
To avoid its reappearance, avoid any stressful work that involves any sudden jerk or shock.
Since it has happened only once, chances of finding out a pathology are less. It might just be a one time symptom which has improved on its own.
Hope my answer is helpful.