Bleeding rectum,headache,red itchy spots,fatigue,loss of appetite,sepsis

Question
I inserted a pen into my rectum rather vigorously and it bled quite a bit and now six days later I have a headache, red itchy spots, fatigue and lethargy, loss of appetite and last night I had a temperature of 96.4. Is it possible that I have have sepsis or something else dangerous?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello
Inserting a pen has caused a local injury to the rectum which caused bleeding. Since it is a highly vascular area, the injury usually heals in 6-8 days even without a treatment.
The symptoms you are experiencing are mostly due to the anxiety of injuring yourself and apprehension about the complications.In case of sepsis, the first manifestation is a high grade fever with chills. A subnormal temperature is mainly because of the weakness.
You need to have a mild pain killer like acetaminophen for your headache.
Take a well balanced good nutritious diet , plenty of fluids, a multivitamin supplement and have a good night's sleep.
Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry. You should be fine soon.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Follow-up: Bleeding rectum,headache,red itchy spots,fatigue,loss of appetite,sepsis 17 hours later
It's 7 days later now and my fecal matter has been yellowish and not very solid all week but just now I went to the bathroom and it was bloody diarrhea. Needless to say I'm quite concerned now so I would appreciate a quick response.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello
A bloody diarrhea might have been caused by an infection of the injury you had earlier, a rectal polyp, ulcerative colitis, etc. The diagnosis can only be made by colonoscopy.
Please visit your surgeon to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
Regards.