Ask a Dentist   »  

Bleeding gums after brushing teeth. History of bleeding dums. Now dizzy

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Since Monday night before I went to bed I brushed my teeth and since then my gums have been bleeding literally nonstop since then. I have had some bleeding in the past and I have talked to a dentist about that but now with this being non stop I am starting to feel dizzy. I dont know what to do.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 4 hours later
Thank you for the query. It is not clear whether you are getting the blood from one tooth region or from all the teeth.
If it is from one region [may be because of trauma from brush] keep the clean cotton in the region with little pressure for 30 minutes. you can also give cold pack for the region [15 minutes cold pack then 15 minutes rest, ten again cold pack for 15 minutes, like this do 6-10 cycle].Take only soft and cold food for 2-3 days. Do not spit, swallow. Do not use straw to drink. Avoid aerated drinks. DO not lift heavy objects. Do not exercise/brisk walk. Do not brush the region for a day, then start very gentle brushing. Avoid sleeping on that side. Do not touch the region to check whether it bleeding or not?
If it is from many areas, local causes like tar-tar formation needs to be checked [by dentist], if yes get it cleaned. hope you do not have Vitamin 'C' deficiency. even this also causes such bleeding.
It is better to consult dentist or physician or both for the physical examination so that better clinical judgement can be done
With regards and wishing you speedy relief.