Bleeding from nostrils. Whats tests and what should be cheaked?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
sir, my daughter is 6yrs old having frequent bleeding from left nostril. Bleeding is not very much except few drops. it stops on its own after some time.what it denotes n what should I check for?
What tests to be done ? pleade suggest me the course of action.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Epistaxis or nosebleeds are common in children and are usually caused by wrong habbits like picking the nose, forceful blowing of nose or may be due dryness or allergy of nasal mucosa. Occasionally if severe and persistent it might indicate an underlying problem like a bleeding disorder or local nasal septum deviation( DNS) , or infection etc
As of now your daughter does seem to have a minor epistaxis which could be either due to dryness/ allergy of nasal mucosa or faulty habbits.
A confirmed diagnosis cannot be made without a thorough clinical evaluation so it's advisable to consult a specialist ie Ear nose throat surgeon for further confirmation of diagnosis and management .
The doctor may also order few tests depending on the findings of the examination like complete blood counts , erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR ), X-rays , nasal swab culture test etc
The treatment will depend on the diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can ensure good hygiene and avoidance of nose picking (only if applicable ) and ensure adequate humidification of the house and adequate hydration of child with plenty of water.
As I have already mentioned the next best step would be to consult a ENT surgeon for evaluation before going for any tests.

Hope this answers your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.