Bleeding constantly after abortion. Had copper IUD inserted. Why am I bloating, have blurred vision and headaches?

I had a surgical abortion 2 months ago. I have been bleeding almost constantly since with about a week off after the first 5 weeks. It keeps changing colour varying from bright red to dark brown discharge and has now become a lighter murky brown discharge. Also had large amount of dark red clots a few weeks in. I Had a copper IUD inserted at the same time the procedure was done. The last couple weeks, I have been feeling unwell, and had pregnancy symptoms such as major bloating (look 5 months pregnant), swollen, tender chest, headaches, tired, blurred vision, depressed etc. I have taken two tests and both negative. I tried feeling for IUD strings but couldn't. I went to the doctor but she wasnt helpful at all and did not check IUD - it hasn't been checked at all yet. Please help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

It is common for bleeding to persist for around 6 weeks after a surgical abortion by D+C. It is also normal for bleeding to change color from red to dark brownish which basically represents old blood.

For the initial few days after abortion, blood clots and bright red blood may be present which then changes to brown color and decreases in flow.

Regarding the copper T IUD, pregnancy can occur due to Copper T failure or if the IUD has been expelled. In case you are not able to feel the threads of copper T and you are having pregnancy like symptoms, then you should get your serum HCG levels and an ultrasound uterus done to rule out any pregnancy.

Ultrasound uterus will also locate the position of IUD. Rising serum HCG levels will indicate the presence of a viable pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.