Bleeding after injecting Methamphetamine to the neck. Reason?

Question
after injecting meth into her neck my friend saw an abnormal amount of blood from yhr injection site. she has dome it this way for many yaers. what is possinle answer for blood coming from injectuion site

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Bleeding after an injection in the neck might happen due to the injury caused to the vein or the surrounding structures.
To stop the bleeding, the best way is to compress the area with your thumb. Apply a moderate pressure so as not to cause choking.
Applying ice on the area will also help in stopping the bleeding. Self injections in the neck are often associated with such bleeding as the procedure is a blind one and the chances of injury are high. Frequent injections also predispose the area to thrombophlebitis- inflammation of the veins and superficial structures.
In case the bleeding is persistent, an emergency medical help is needed to rule out any injury to the deeper structures and proper management.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.