Black/purple bruise on eyelid, on cholesterol and BP medication.Suggestion?

I'm 66 years old, in fairly good health (taking cholesterol meds (220) and blood pressure meds. (blood pressure now is 125 over 70).

This morning I got up and washed my face and looked fine. Now, at 4:00 p.m. all of a sudden I have a bruise (about the size of a dime) and dark black/purple in color riight under my left eyelid. I do not remember bumping into anything or hitting anything in that area.

This is the first time this ever happened and it scares me to death. Help?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Development of bruise under the eye spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder. You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.
This problem needs an immediate medical attention and further investigations are entailed. I encourage you to consult a physician who can guide you through the tests.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.