Black marks spread on neck, eyes and forehead, normal blood tests. Treatment?

Hello Sir my name is XXXXXXX 28 yrs old Male from Hyderabad India..4years back Black marks has came on my neck slowly black marks spread all my neck. so consulted best skin doctor(dermatologist) and taken treatment for more than 1year. slowly the marks has gone(not completely). now from 6months back the marks again started and again i have taken treatment from the same Doctor but the marks was heavily spread from neck to my ears and some parts of my face(fore head,eyes) . i am taking treatment but no use the marks are continuously spreading ..Doctor has written a blood test and all the reports are normal..what should i do sir please guide me.....
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 40 minutes later

Before I answer your query I want you to give me some more details about the condition .

1. Are the spots itchy ?
2. Are they raised above the skin ?
3. Are they greyish-black in color ?
4. What treatment have you taken so far ?
5. Have you noticed any change in your nails ?

Also please email me the pics to YYYY@YYYY . Subject: Attn Dr. Gaurang.

Do not forget to reply here after sending the pictures also as I can answer only over this forum.

Looking forward to read from you.
Follow-up: Black marks spread on neck, eyes and forehead, normal blood tests. Treatment? 40 hours later

Below are the answers

1. No the spots are not itchy.
2. No they are not raised above the skin..they came as a XXXXXXX on my neck and spreading to face,ears and back side of neck. i am sending pics (before the marks came and after) of those to YYYY@YYYY
3. Yes doctor they are in greyish-black color.(i am sending pics of those to YYYY@YYYY you can see clearly in pics)
4. I have started taking treatment from 13th Sep 2010. At the same time i have taken treatment for hair loss too. Presently i am not taking any treatment.

i am attaching the doctor prescription scan copies and blood report scan copies.

From last two days i am applying aloe vera gum on the black spots.

i have attached my pics(before black spots and after black spors),doctor prescription and latest blood test reports to mail.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

You probably have Acanthosis Nigricans. But I also want to rule out another condition called Lichen Planus Pigmentosus.

With the photos you have sent, it looks like the surface of the discoloured skin is rough and thick as compared to the unaffected skin.

Do anyone else in the family has this problem too? Does someone in the family have diabetes?

I can give better reply if you answer these question also.

Waiting for your replies.
Follow-up: Black marks spread on neck, eyes and forehead, normal blood tests. Treatment? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor

I don't know what the problem with my skin.

The surface of the discolored skin is not rough. it is just like normal skin.

No one in my family has this problem and i am not sure that no one has diabetes in my family because my father has expired, my mother not has diabetes and her health is 100% healthy and i am the only son for them.

Follow-up: Black marks spread on neck, eyes and forehead, normal blood tests. Treatment? 4 minutes later
I have forgot to answer the 5th question which you have asked..

There is no change in my nails.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 15 minutes later

Thanks for your prompt replies.

You may be having Lichen Planus Pigmentosus.

I suggest you to stop whatever treatment you are taking after discussing with your primary doctor. You may need biopsy of the lesions for confirmation of the diagnosis and to look for the activity of the disease. Further treatment plan depend on the results of the biopsy.

Lichen Planus Pigmentosus is a chronic skin condition where the treatment is long and the improvement may not be 100%. Steroids are usually prescribed initially to arrest disease progression. They also help in lighten the skin colour as well.

Please talk and discuss about it with your dermat and go ahead with skin biopsy if appropriate.

Wish you good health