Ask a Dentist   »  

Bitter taste at back of mouth after oral surgery for implants. Mutilated saliva glands. What should I do?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I had oral surgery for implants and since May'11 have had a bitter taste coming from the back of my mouth (one if three areas of implants. The saliva glandsthere were mutilated when a tooth extraction left a root which had to be picked and drilled out.What should I do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 18 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Bitter taste which you are experiencing may be because of infection around the implant.

Start brushing your teeth [including implants region] after every meal, use chlorexidine mouthwash twice daily after brushing, floss once daily after last food of the day.

If you get relief from this oral hygiene methods, its fine. Otherwise, it is better to get it checked clinically by the dentist who had placed the implants. I do not suspect any problem with salivary glands.

Kindly provide the details whether the implants have crowns or only implants have been placed. x-rays would be helpful to give opinion.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you are in need of any further clarifications you are most welcome.