Ask a Dentist   »  

Bitter saliva in throat after brushing teeth, bad breath after meals. Brushing and flossing regularly. Solution?

When I brush my teeth, stinking and bitter saliva comes from my throat. Also after every meal I have bad breath coming from my mouth. I brush twice daily and floss once daily. Can you advice for the solution of the ptoblem.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

The bad breath is due to the decaying plaque (food material) in the teeth inter-spaces .The stinking and bitter taste is due to the same decaying material.

Brushing alone will not stop decay and has to be assisted with gargling with an antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE .The solution has to be gargled twice daily after food .Three to four days gargling will surely help you to get rid of the bad breath and try to brush twice daily before gargling.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.