Bite marks on arm, redness, itchiness, chest infection, sore throat, wheezing. Is this connected?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was bitten 3 weeks ago, whilst sleeping in two places on my arm. Both bites look totally different. One looks like a bcg injection scar and the other is again like the bcg scar size but has redness around it the size of a plumb. I went into a pharmacy and the pharmacist said he thinks that it could be from a horsefly and gave me some cream to reduce redness and stop the inchiness - this has not worked. Now 3 weeks later i have developed this bad chest infection, sore throat, weeziness, I've had an on and off temperature, I'm constantly tired and now the roof of my mouth has started to swell from the front and is sore. Is this all connected? Or have I just had a run of bad luck?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
An insect bite that happened three weeks ago is not likely to produce any systemic symptoms so late.
The sore throat, chest infection, fever, bodyaches, tiredness and wheeziness are all related problems. A good systemic antibiotic therapy is needed after a careful examination and appropriate investigations.
The swelling on the front of the roof of your mouth could be due to an oral infection or vitamin B complex deficiency which is commonly associated with such systemic infections.
I encourage you to consult your physician for a course of antibiotics and Vitamin B complex supplements. Severe chest infection may need inhalational steroids and brochodilators.
In addition, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Avoid smoking if you do.
2.) Wear a face mask when you go out in polluted environment.
3.) Use a Humidifier at home. Warm, moist air helps relieve coughs and loosens mucus in your airways.
4.) Drink plenty of water.
5.) Get adequate rest and avoid stress.
6.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
7.) Regular steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil will be helpful.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.