Biopsy report shows Reactive gastropathy, silver stain negative for H. pylori. What does this mean?

Can you please explain in detail what all this means on my report.
A. Biopsy, Gastric Antrum
Reactive gastropathy, silver stain negative for H. pylori.
B. Biopsy, Mid-Esophagus
Hyperplastic squamous and inflamed cardiac mucosa with reactive/hyperplastic changes consistent with gastroesophageal reflux, negative for specialized intestinal metaplasia. Negative for eosinophilic esophagitis. There are no eosinophils present. PAS stain negative for Candida in this sampling. I know this is benign but I also thought hyperplastic changes can have something to do with cancer. Is this something that should be followed up on? If you can please explain what this means in more detail I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you kindly.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later
Thank you for the query.
1) Your gastric biopsy suggests that there are mild inflammatory changes (swelling) in the inner lining of the stomach which mean that because of the acid there is mild swelling of the inner lining. This is a fairly common finding which usually need only antacids to treat it and this swelling is inconsequential most of the times. Hpylori is an bacteria which can cause such inflammation and some times ulcers in stomach is negative in the biopsy, which is good.

2) Your esophagus is having mild acid reflux into it from the stomach causing inflammation (swelling) in its lining too. Hyperplastic changes are its consequence and they do not suggest any cancerous change or any risk for same and may disappear after medications to suppress acid and reflux.
I do not think you need to follow them. Eosinophils are seen in diseases like allergic (food ) related problems. You do not have them in biopsy.
So do not worry.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Biopsy report shows Reactive gastropathy, silver stain negative for H. pylori. What does this mean? 1 hour later
Thank you for clarifying that for me, I do appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 10 hours later
Thank you
Best wishes..