Best medicine for LDL cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl?

good morning what is the best medicine for
LDL cholestrol 182.9,
Hdl- 35.5,
Total cholestrol - 250 ,
Triglycerides - 158
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 18 minutes later
Dear Sir
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
The management of High cholesterol will depend upon the target levels for you. Please let me know
1. If you have diabetes
2. High blood pressure
3. Are you a smoker?
4. If you have a blood relation who has had heart attack or anginal heart disease? And, if yes, then at what age it started?
5. If you have /had stroke (paralysis), kidney disease, carotid blockage, anginal heart disease, claudication of limbs (pain in legs on walking).
6. If it is first time that your lipids were measured, if previously they were high too.
All these questions will let me know your target LDL level and then I will discuss management part with you.
I am waiting for your follow up question with relevant information.
Follow-up: Best medicine for LDL cholesterol, triglyceride and hdl? 1 hour later
iam a non smoker ,
no diabetes,
no High BP ,
alcohol very rarely
my father got Bypass done at the age of 60 and he is fine now .
i have checked previously a year back they were normal.
i have muscle pain in the upper back ( shoulders and down )due to heavy driving which i controlled now and i had started morning walk before taking this test.
since one year my physical activity is very low (sitting at office and home ) i think it is the culprit.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for the information you provided.

Your target LDL cholesterol is 160 mg% as per ATP III guidelines (which are the latest guidelines in force) and your actual level is only 22.9 higher than this value. Your HDL cholesterol is also lower, which should have been more than 40 mg%.

For this mush of higher levels, it is recommended that you start lifestyle modification for first 3 months and then remeasure your lipids. If they are out of target even after 3 months of lifestyle modifications then only medicines are recommended.

Life style measures include daily exercise in consultation with your physician, control of weight (body mass index of <25, ideally ~23 for Indians), low cholesterol, low saturated fat diet which is XXXXXXX in fruit and vegetables and fibres. Avoid too much of cereals also. You may consult a dietitian for the same.

If at all you will require a medicine in future (which you do not require right now), then it will be statins, which you must take in consultation with your doctor only.

I hope I answered your query. Please close the query if you are satisfied. If there is any other question, feel free to write.

sukhvinder XXXXXXX
hello Dr

thanks for the suggestion will follow.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 36 minutes later
You are welcome.

I would appreciate if you can close this discussion and review if you have no further questions.

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh