Benzoyl peroxide treatment, pimple, red, irritated, cracked, dry, used moisturizers, cortisone, aloe gel. Healing period?

I used a 10% benzoyl peroxide treatment for a pimple and stopped after the first use due to the development of a red, irritated, cracking and dry area where I used it. It's been a few days and doesn't seem to be improving much. I've tried moisturizers, cortisone 10, and aloe gel all seem to make it worse. What can I do and is this permanent or how long to heal ?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

It is true that benzoyl peroxide is the commonest cream to be used for acne, but an amount of lotion - the size of a pea should be enough to cover most of your face. If your skin becomes red or peels, you are using too much of the medicine or applying it too often. Secondly it can be due to an allergic contact dermatitis to the cream.

First of all, do not apply this cream any more. Wash your face with a mild cleanser which has moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. XXXXXXX your face dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area or use a thin layer of Vaseline.

Creams containing ceramides e.g Impruv, Cerave and calamine lotion may be helpful, but avoid use of any creams containing propylene glycol, lactic acid, urea or salicylic acid.

Also do not use topical steroids without a medical supervision unless prescribed by your doctor. He will start with mild steroids first.

The other available medications is topical immunomodulators like pimecrolimus and tacrolimus. They are available under prescription and can be used in severe conditions.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.