Belly button become larger, hard around edge, redness. Sore back. What would cause this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My belly button has changed shape (gotten larger) and is hard around edge. Back also sore. Secondly belly button is red as well. What would cause this
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
What you have is a condition where there is infection and inflammation of the belly button. The cause can be due to retained foreign body like collection of fabric fibre, trauma induced infection due to scratching, allergy, improper hygiene as well.

Keep the area clean and dry. You may use cool pack over the site to reduce symptoms of inflammation. Apply antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or Fucidin thinly at the site for 3-4 days. Avoid using soap or any irritant substance at or near the navel. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Eat food XXXXXXX in protein like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat for aiding in recovery from infection and boosting immune system.

It is best to consult a Doctor to look for predisposing conditions for this problem and also to look for any underlying causes from abdomen which can lead to infection as well.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.