Behave aggressive and abusive. Has chronic stomach and constipation problem. Treatment?

My father is 65 years old > he has become very aggressive and abusive.He is not ready to go to a dcotor. He has chronic stomach problem and constipation problem for this he takes several medicines regularly along with factine 40 mg. He never listens to anybody and some times he behaves like a psychiatric . He sleep and can remeber every thing he can read and understand things and does his routine work properly. Please suggest how to treat him and make him normal.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do perfectly understand how frustrating it could be to deal with a loved one who does behaves as such. However, certain precisions could be very useful analyzing and proposing appropriate management options for him:
1. For how long has this been going on?
2. Do you remember any trigger condition or situation the led to this?
3. Whom does he disclose or expose most of his concerns? To whom is he closest to?
These are key questions if answered could serve as key entry points i n resolving this situation.

From the medical point of view, chronic constipation especially in an adult greater 60 years of age deserves a formal exclusion of a tumor of the colon. The compels a blood hemocult test for occult blood in stool and a colonoscopy be done. Dietary changes with inadequate intake of water, vegetables, fruits, fibres, lack of exercise of psychological stress could all contribute to chronic constipation. Modification of these lifestyle changes could offer much help then.

I think your father would certainly need to consult a psychiatrist. I might for sure, be difficult to convince him to see one directly. However, as I asked earlier on, a person he is so used to, trusts, familiar with and open to could be the main gateway to convince him and get him have a psychiatric consultation. A complete clinical review by a psychiatrist, considering the above cited considerations and measures with respect to his problem of constipation could be of great help.

I suggest you book an appointment with a psychiatrist. Should you have a further very specific questions, I would be more than glad to chip in my contribution for his well being. Wish you the best of health and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.