Been on protonix. Have an issue with low stomach acid. How long will the body take to readjust?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been on Protonix for 7 months. I stopped taking them 2 weeks ago. Now it seems that I am experiencing an issue with low stomach acid due to being on the PPI for a this time. Once you stopped taking this drug, how long does it normally take for your body to readjust and regulate itself to start making normal stomach acid production again?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later

Kindly provide me some more details which can help me to opine better.

What are your symptoms?

How and who arrived at diagnosis that the acid levels were low ?

Is there any investigation like endoscopy or gastric ph monitoring done?

Do you have any other gastointestinal symptoms?

Do you have any systemic general complains?

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Been on protonix. Have an issue with low stomach acid. How long will the body take to readjust? 10 hours later
I was taking the Protonix for GERD. I am now off of the Protonix. After being on the Protonix (PPI) I am now experiencing a rebound effect. My system is now trying to get back to normal acid production, but is taking awhile to do so since the acid production has basically been shut off for 7 months.

My question is, do you know how long it normally takes for a persons body to start making normal levels of acid again after stopping the Proton Pump Inhibitor?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Clinically it seems you are suffering from Reflux disease

So it would be advisable to start a Domperidone tablet twice a day before meals

Regarding your second query it usually takes around 2 to 6 weeks to come back to normal production, so if you have been off since seven months and are yet facing any issues with your health you should consult your doctor

Hope all clear
I am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon