Been doing labor intensive work for years. Severe back pain started. MRI showed slight bulge. Is it serious?

Spine Surgeon
I am a 33 year old male who has been doing labor intensive work for more than 15 years. I just had a mri of the L spine last week, because the pain in my back has really increased. It showed a sligh bulge in the L4, arthritis in L4, L5, and S1. I dont know how serious this is, or if some of the pain is just in my head. I XXXXXXX with a well known spine doctor XXXXXXX 14th at Mercy Hospital Baltimore, md. I welcome any thoughts on what I should be doing. Thanks, Steve
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 10 hours later
thank you for sharing your problem with me.
Based on your history and MRI, you have degenerative lumbar disc disease which could produce back pain, which is quite common in the general population.
But the good news is that many people get good relief with medications and structured physiotherapy with some modifications in their present job.
Few patients do require surgery but, that would be last resort.
Back pain has a lot of psychological and emotional component as well, so some people get more pain after MRI and they get distressed based on the MRI result.
So, XXXXXXX don't worry too much, follow the medications and physio as per your spine surgeon's orders and wish you a speedy recovery
Dr Krishna Kumar