Barber scraped his finger with blade. Used the same blade to shave. Risk of HIV?

I went to get a haircut today morning...the barber got a razor to trim my sideburns and back...i asked him to put in a new blade

while putting the new blade into the razor the barber fumbled a bit and he may have scraped his finger while putting the blade into the razor before using it on me. I say "MAY" because i do not know for sure. My question is that if he actually did scrape his finger with the blade and then used it on me (within 15-20 seconds) is it risky? I did not notice any bleeding wound where the razor had been used on my skin...but the skin did burn a bit when he put after shave.

I have recently tested for HIV/HepB/HepC(all negative) after a similar non-sexual exposure and am generally paranoid... In any this a risky i need to do something (PEP etc.)..please do clear my doubts.

PS: I would like your honest opinion about this..if you feel there is no need for PEP/testing...ill let this go

Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Kruti 13 hours later

I can understand your concern.

From what you describe, I gather that there was no wound or any bleeding by the razor either in your case or in the barber's case. His finger hadn't got cut due to the razor.

If the razor didn't have any blood on it, then the chances of getting any infection through the razor is not present.

Hence I would recommend that you do not need to worry regarding it.

If there was his blood on the razor which he used on you and then that razor had caused a wound then it was worrisome.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Follow-up: Barber scraped his finger with blade. Used the same blade to shave. Risk of HIV? 2 hours later not sure if there was blood on the razor.

I called the barber and he said that he did NOT cut himself while putting the blade on

Also the blade did not cause any bleeding wound (minor nicks possible)

Based on this info...what do you think i should do?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

If the barber didn't cut himself and there was no blood on the razor then the risk of any infection being transmitted through the razor is not present.

I can understand that you are worried, however when there has been no exchange of any infectious material from the barber to you, there is no need to worry.

If you are still worried, you can get a baseline test done and once more after three months.

Answered by Dr. Kruti 40 minutes later