Banged shin. Done with X ray. Told it was a bone bruise and need to be confirmed by MRI. Should I get it checked further?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I banged my shin three weeks ago. Currently it is not painful, no major leg swelling. But I do have a hard bump on my shin. I had an x-ray this week and they confirmed there were no fractures. They said it might be a bone bruise, but that could only be confirmed with an MRI. I asked whether it could be a DVT and they did not seem to think this was the case, but indicated that in 50% of people with a DVT there are no symptoms. The doctor, who, was not my primary did not seem overly concerned. Do I need to get this checked out further?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hard bump seems to be due to fibrosed haematoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

Hard bump on your shin seems to be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) which might get fibrosed.

As this hard bump is not painful and bony injury is excluded, do not worry.

Do hot fomentation over swelling. It will take weeks to months to subside.

This does not looks like DVT. If this bump increases and become painful, then get it checked out to rule out any infection.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.