Ask a Dentist   »  

Bad breath after brushing teeth, white coating on tongue. Mouth illness due to using tongue cleaner?

At times after brushing my teeth I have a slight bad breath, and my tongue has a white coating as I rarely brush my tongue as scared that it might lead to a mouth illness. Is that possible that using a tongue cleaner can cause mouth illness?

Many thanks!
Posted Mon, 1 Oct 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashu Gupta 2 days later

You have asked about slight bad breath even after brushing your teeth.

There are many possible causes of bad breath. Most common is poor oral hygiene, deposition of calculus on your teeth, or pocket formation between tooth and gum.
Constipation and/or indigestion, use of tobacco/smoking or use of garlic can be other reasons.

If the cause is not the latter group, then proper brushing technique can eliminate bad breath.

Brush your teeth twice a day esp at night before going to sleep, brush at least for two minutes on all surfaces of your teeth, use mouth wash after brushing AND clean your tongue regularly. There is absolutely no harm in using a tongue cleaner as long as it is clean, soft and flexible. You can also use your brush to clean your tongue.

If bad breath persists, consult a dentist for evaluating other causes in the mouth e.g. caries, decayed teeth or pocket formation.

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Yours sincerely,

Dr (Mrs) Ashu Gupta