Back surgery done. Having pain in leg and numbness in foot. Will it be cured on its own?

I had back surgey, with a NeuroSurgeon 4 weeks ago on my L5 S1I had Lamindtomy. I am set to go back to work on 5/25. My concern is, I am still having pain down the back of my leg..and my foot is still numb.. The doctor said this will be fine. I also have trouble sleeping and wake ofter as I am in pain and need to find a different position. I also have mile Scoliosis in my mid back. I explained this to my doctor and he told me I MUST HAVE SOMETHING ON MY MIND.. I work with Intectulal Disabled Adults in a work setting.We sometime have the need to intercept ,to prevent an incedent to another consumer or themselves. We do frequent lifting 50 lbs or more, frequent stooping and bending, frequent Reaching , pulling, pushing with lots of repetitive motion.. Don't get me wrong there are great people and consumers I work with.. I do not want to undo what I just had done.. Should I go out of town for a second oponion??
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 17 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Your numbness will probably fade away as your doctor has mentioned. It takes time to get resolved.
The thing that laminectomy does is that it relieves the nerve root from the pressure it is tolerating, and it does not mean that you can do heavy manual work as you mentioned you had before. It is good to work and exercise to strengthen your paravertebral muscles to be able to do prevent extra pressure on your back. You can ask your doctor to give you a brochure related to XXXXXXX exercise for back muscles or you can even down load it. It will help gradually in the next several months and is the best method for the prevention of the future back pains.
The point that it is interfering with your sleep is a really important issue. Quit smoking is you do since it aggravates the pain by lack of oxygen and also you may use a medication from the class of NSAIDs (if you do not have renal problem, gastric problem or uncontrolled hypertension) to relieve the pain or tylenol after consulting with your doctor. Opium class of medications are not idea for this condition especially they affect your sleep quality and aggravate oxygen delivery problem with affecting your respiratory center in the brain.
Feel free to ask me any question.
I wish you good health.