Back pain while coughing. Should I be concerned about this symptom?

Hi, I'm in the second or third day of a cold or sinus infection and I experience back pain when I cough. Should I be concerned about this symptom?
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pain is due to spasm of back muscles

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

There is no reason for you to be worried about the cough-induced pain in the back. It is apparently due to a 'catch' (spasm) of your back muscle(s) following constant coughing.

A short course of a combination of an NSAID, such as ibuprofen, along with paracetamol and clorzoxazone (a muscle relaxant) will relieve the muscle spasm.
Hot fomentation of the back too will help.

However, the precipitating cause, that is, cough needs to be controlled first, for early relief from spasm of the back muscles.

You may discuss the matter with your treating doctor, who will prescribe the drugs in effective doses.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer.

Have a speedy recovery and good health.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal