Back injury. How much Ibuprofen is safe for me to take in a day for inflammation?

Infertility Specialist
Question
hello any doctor on that is an internist
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for your interest in asking a query.

I read from your history that you are suffering from IBS (gastrointestinal infection, post-infection of any origin, young age, prolonged fever, stress, anxiety, and depression.

The treatment options are as follows:

1) Please have fiber XXXXXXX diet which aids in smooth movement of stool in bowels.

2) Drink lot of water which helps in digestion and smoothening of bowel movements.

3) Try to reduce stress causing factors.

4) Do routine exercise and have healthy diet. Try relaxation techniques. Practice yoga and meditation which helps your body and mind to relax.

Your query was not clear. But I read your history about IBS. I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow-up query you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Back injury. How much Ibuprofen is safe for me to take in a day for inflammation? 7 hours later
That is my history but nothing to do with what I have now.

I hurt my lower back 3 weeks ago. How much milligrams of ibprofen is safe for me to take in 24 hours for inflammation? And how long does it start working on the inflammation, is it instantaneous or does it take 5-7 days to get in your system? It seems to feel like its working but not quick enough.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing the clear history.

Ibuprofen has a dose-dependent duration of action of approximately four to eight hours.The action starts within one hour of taking the drug.

The recommended dose varies with body mass and indication. 1,200 mg is considered the maximum daily dose for OTC (Over The Counter) use. Under medical direction, the maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any follow-up query you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer and close the discussion.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol