Baby with abnormal nuchal fold. Testing for amniocentesis scheduled. Chances of being normal?

Hi i am 4 months pregnant and I have a baby with 3.6mm NF . what are the chances of my baby being normal at birth? yes I will be doing testing for amniocentesis, however I am so scared and I was wondering cuz I read that the normal range is 1 to 3mm. and mine is at 3.6, i guess i want to hear is from your experiences of 3.6mm what are the odds of the baby being normal?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
At 4 months pregnancy nuchal fold thickness of 3.6 mm is suggestive of a low risk of having a down's syndrome baby.
Ultrasound is only a screening test and diagnosis is made by amniocentesis. Chances of you not having a down's syndrome baby are nearly 80%.
Do not worry and go ahead with further investigations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.