Baby starts screaming without any reason, strange behaviour. Whats the reason?

I notice a baby kid is acting very strange.
He starts screaming with no causes annoying noises.
Can things such as the air they breathe when they are less than certain month of age affect their conduct?
For example:
Been near to a sick person, A smoker (3th hand), or something similar.
What are the consequences?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 29 minutes later

Thank you for posing your query.

Toddlers are known to have what are called temper tantrums.

Is the child's behaviour a response to some specific demand or is it unprovoked? I am sure this is not due to second hand smoke or something like air-pollution. You could, however, eliminate smoke and similar pollutants. This may indirectly benefit his temperament.

As to consequences - pure yelling for long periods can cause the voice to become hoarse temporarily, affect the peace of the household and generally fray the nerves of the parent. But this you already know, right? Beyond this, repeated overuse of the larynx may lead to formation of nodules on the voice chords, which may make the hoarse voice more permanent. Nothing else that I can think of.

What to do? Avoid encouraging his behaviour by video shooting it or sharing this with family / neighbours. Keep downplaying this and demonstrate your displeasure by non-verbal cues. Eventually, he will get over this phase as well as the behaviour.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help in dealing this problem.

Dr. Taher K