Baby six weeks ago, breast enlargement and tingling, not breastfeeding, hormonal changes

I had a baby 6 weeks ago. In the last 2 days I have noticed dark rings around my areola, breast enlargement and tingling. I am not breastfeeding. My husband and I had sex 4 weeks after I had my baby. Can you get pregnant that soon? Could these breast changes be due to hormonal changes from my last pregnancy or could I be pregnant again? I am 31, 5'9", 223lbs. I have no medical history.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Congratulations on being mother.

During pregnancy there are lots of hormonal changes taking place in the body. These changes along with other metabolic effects leads to pigmentation in mid line of the abdomen and around areola. As the pregnancy advances there is increase in degree of pigmentation.

The breast enlargement and tingling in breast could be due to engorgement of breast due to accumulation of milk as you are not breast feeding. This might also lead to bacterial infection, producing pus known as Mastitis if breast hygiene is not maintained.

Normally after the delivery, the mother starts menstruating in 3 to 6 months and late in mothers who breast feed. In Lactating mothers there are very rare chances of Conceiving again, but cannot be ruled out.

As you had an unprotected sexual intercourse and you are not Lactating too, So it would be better to get a Urine Pregnancy test done to confirm and to get examined and evaluated by your GYNAEC for Breast enlargement and for the treatment required accordingly.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.