Baby, red rash, smells fishy

Question
My 7 week old baby has a red neck and underarms. She did have a rash but its gone. I'm worried because there is white stuff accumulating there and it smells fishy. What can it be?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

The symptoms are suggestive of fungal infection like thrush of the skin.

Fungal infections in new born are common in the folds of skin like neck, armpits and diaper area/ groins. Fungal infections thrive in warm, moist place and fold of the skin like neck. They provide perfect environment for its growth. White smelly discharge on neck skin is again mostly part of fungal infection.

Keep the skin dry and softly. XXXXXXX it dry with a soft towel. Keeping the area as dry as possible. They will help in quick healing.

If the symptoms persist then topical antifungal lotion may be needed. It can be prescribed by a doctor. It needs to be used delicately over the skin of infants preferrably under a medical guidance. You should consult her pediatrician in that case.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Baby, red rash, smells fishy 20 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have used canisten cream on her twice a day after a bath on 3 occasions (not consecutive), is this harmful? Also the smell is not apparent every day, I have only noticed it on 2 different occasions within a 3 week period, is this definitely a final infection? I'm just worried it could be fish odour syndrome and the thought of that scares me.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Canesten cream is used for fungal infection but it is advisable to use it under a medical guidance. The best treatment is keeping the area clean and dry as fungal infections thrive in moist skin.

To confirm the diagnosis as fungal infection, it needs to be examined and a KOH examination of the white discharge or skin scrapings done.

It does not sound like fish odor syndrome which is a rare metabolic disorder that causes a defect in the normal production of the enzyme Flavin containing monooxygenase 3 and it causes malodorous dead fish smell to be released through breath, sweat, and urine. It is not confined to the skin only.