Baby not able to walk, even after seventeen months

Neurologist
Question
Dear Dr. My Baby Boy is now 17 month old and still not able to walk, before some time he was trying to standup for some seconds without any support but now he is nither walking nor standing.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the details provided it looks like your child has delay in the development of the motor mile stones. Delayed milestone, also called developmental delays, is used to describe the condition where a child does not reach one of these stages at the expected age.

If your child has only delayed motor milestone and all his other development milestones are progressing on schedule, he's probably just a late bloomer and not a cause for medical concern. If he has delay in his other milestones as well then it needs to addressed immediately.

Recognizing developmental delay early on is extremely important. If delay is identified and treated in the early stages, outcome is encouraging.

So I personally feel if your child has only delayed standing or walking and all his other milestones are normal you need not worry and he is likely to pick up slowly. You need to see a Pediatric Neurologist if he has delay in more than one mile stone (like cognition, speech, social and emotional development).

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Baby not able to walk, even after seventeen months 2 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX my child has only delayed standing and walking and all his other milestones are normal even he is more active then his age group children.
Can you tell me approximatly what is the age group to walk for a child?

Hello

Thanks for the query

Normally a child stands with support by 10-12 months and will be able to walk by 12-14 months. However there are normal variations and vary from child to child. So I personally advise you not to worry and he is likely to stand and walk in couple of months.

Wishing your child good health

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist