Baby having normal diet and passes stools three times a day. Randomly bites and pulls hair. Unable to stop. Any scientific reason?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello Doctor,

I have a 15 months boy. He has normal diet as prescribed mashed rice,lentils, fruits etc. He passes stools three times a day.My query is he randomly bites / pulling hair of mine / wife / other family members when he is playing or sleepy. We are unable to stop him from doing this.
Request your advice on how we can address this, would there be a scientific reason behind this behaviour?

XXXX
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
relax..there is nothing to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I understand your concern.
Relax,there is nothing to worry.
It is sometimes normal behaviour.
I suggest you to distract his attention while doing this,but do not scold him.

This is good that he is taking normal diet.
This could be symptom of pica as well for which I suggest you to give iron and calciun supplementation.
Deworming is also needed sometimes.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless...

Follow-up: Baby having normal diet and passes stools three times a day. Randomly bites and pulls hair. Unable to stop. Any scientific reason? 6 hours later
Thank you doctor for the prompt reply.

We give him Nan 3 formula during the night, when he wakes up for milk. Besides this do we still need to give him supplement for Iron and Calcium. if yes please name a few and dosage for the same.

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up.

Most important is to give balanced diet to your child which will take care of all vitamins and minerals needed.
Give home based food .green leafy vegetabkes.fruit.cereals.

Now since he is above one year of age I suggest you to give cows milk.

I suggest you to get your child examined by pediatrician as physical examination is required to see for deficiency symptoms and in case he finds any supplementation will be needed.

Take care..