Baby has high Ultra TSH. What shall I do?

sir my baby is 1day old
the ultra tsh is 29.68mlU/ml
what shall i do??
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Please let me know how the TSH was performed- cord blood or peripheral venous sample. Ideally TSH should be done at the time of clamping the cord or between 48-72 hrs after birth. If indeed the sample is from cord blood the value is high and might indicate congenital hypothyroidism. The next step will be to confirm or refute the diagnosis is to do a TSH and T4 after 48 hrs.
If the TSH IS ABOVE 20 again treatment with levothyroxine should be initiated. Any value between the upper limit of normal around 10 and 20 needs to be followed up.
If repeat value is greater than 40 it confirms hypothyroidism.
Please write back for any clarifications