Baby has diarrhoea. Taken medicine. No relief. What treatment measures should be taken?

Hello Doctor, My son is 5 months. He has got diarrhea for the past 1 week. we went to the doctor and gave him medicine. But it didn't get cure. Per day he is pooping for 5 to 6 times. The poop is XXXXXXX in color and it is watery in consistency. Is this normal? Whether this will recover on its own? Pls help me out. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Diarrhea of seven days in for sure an infective one.

I would suggest you to take him to the doctor for a new antibiotic as the Septran has not worked.

A combination of Ornidazole and Ofloxacin would be a better choice for your child presenting with greenish stools.Greenish infective stools are usually seen in infections with anaerobic organism.Ornidazole is a broad spectrum antibiotic with good action against anaerobic bacterias.

Hence, I advice you to visit the doctor who can assess the child and formulate the required dosage of the medicine said above.

Also do continue Bifilac which replenishes the lost normal friendly bacteria from the babies gut.

ORS (oral rehydration solutions) and juices are essential for the child to prevent dehydration is a common and serious complication in children with diarrhea.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.