Baby had runny nose, cough and red circles under eyes. How to overcome this?

Feb 2013

Our 15 month old son has had a cold (runny nose and cough) since Monday and now has bits of yellow goop coming from his eyes (looks like sleep or "eye boogers" as one retail salesperson remarked to me today! He also has small red circles under his eyes. Is there anything we can do to help him overcome this?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems to have an upper respiratory tract infection with conjuctivitis.

The spectrum of cold, cough, eye discharge, and red circles under eyes is due to a viral or a bacterial origin.

The yellow discharge from the eyes is due to conjunctivitis.

I advise you to clean his eyes with a sterile clean clothe after soaking in sterile water or normal saline.

Eye drops containing topical antibiotic may be required if the eye discharge is not decreasing.

For cold and cough, oral antihistamines like chlorpheniramine and mucolytic drugs are sufficient in prescribed dosage.

So I advise you to consult Pediatrician for the examination of your child and for the prescription.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.