BP & pulse rate, had frequent falls. What do you suggest?

My wife has fell twice tonight her bp is 110/40 and her pulse is 110 how should i proceed?
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

The Blood pressure reading appears to be on the lower side ,The high pulse rate could be due to the anxiety and shock after falling.

I suggest you to allow her rest and consume good amount of water which brings up the BP also do monitor BP every 2 hours and if there is any drastic change either decrease of increase you may have to take her to the ER immediately.

Also do not give her next dose of antihypertensive medication if the BP remains on the lower side (below 110/60).Give al her other regular medications if on any.

Do check her blood sugar levels if you own a Glucometer, as in some diabetics low sugar can present this way.If you read a low sugar value (less than 50 mg/dl) then you may have to give her sugar supplement in juices or chocolates.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.