Autistic spectrum disorder, lack of social and talking skills. EEG normal. History of epileptic fits. Deep EEG?

I have a query with regards to my child who has been diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder. He is currently 3 years old. He had epileptic fits till he was about 9 months old(He had about 3-4 bouts of epileptic fits during these 9 months). He was on phenobarbitol anti-seizure drug till he was about 1 year. The medication was stopped after EEG tests performed on him did not report any problems. Recently another EEG was performed again and it was also all clear. So the doctor pediatric neurologist concluded that he has ASD. Physically he is okay but lags in certain skills like talking(he has not started talking yet except occasional babbling) and limited social skills. The doctor has recommended Occupational therapy followed by speech therapy. Recently when i was going through the web, i found a institute called bright minds institute( which claims that they have an advanced EEG technique (called the XXXXXXX EEG) which can collect much more information from the brain and do a much better diagnosis than what traditional EEG can do. But the costs of XXXXXXX EEG are extraordinarily high (USD 0000). I would like to know is it really worth to go all the way to the US and apply this technique for my child in a hope that it will give me better diagnosis. I am really anxious for my son, so kindly guide me with regards to this. Thank you
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 21 hours later

Thanks for the query

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what are going on.

For a child suffering from ASD (Autism spectrum Disorder), occupational therapy along with graded cognitive exercises are the proven modalities of treatment worldwide. Bright mind institute claims XXXXXXX (Digital EEG and Evoked Potentials Assessment) is better than the conventional EEG.
XXXXXXX consist of assessment of can language, hearing and visual functions in addition to the EEG. During the set-up child participates in various activities that distract him and encouraging them to “sit still” such as reading, playing video games and talking to the staff.

However there are no proven studies about the effect of the XXXXXXX in treatment of ADHD. So I personally feel there is no harm in trying these techniques if money is not a problem.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist